Friday, October 29, 2010

Do you remember when you were a kid and you got a new toy? Maybe you had saved up your allowance for months, maybe it was christmas or your birthday, no matter what it was exciting! Well tonight Jeff and I got a new toy. I love to figure out new technology or at least new to me. When I get my new cell phone every two years (or sometimes sooner) I spend days just holding it and reading the manual until I know just how everything on that sucker works. When I don't understand something I'm one of the people who call the help line and find out, even if I have to speak with 3 different people who are "americans" with very strong indian accents.
Well Jeff and I are now proud owners of a Garmin nuvi 1300. We did quite a bit of research to pick the right GPS. There are tons of different brands and each of those have many models with lots of different "bell and whistles". The price differences are CRAZY. You can get one for $79.99 or pay $600.00 for a gps for your car. We just wanted the basics plus we found out from some friends that "free map updates" were cool because you pay 30$ when you want to update your maps otherwise. I set our "home" and played around with the settings. I found a really funny yetty voice which cracks me up when ever it "speaks" but you can't understand it, but it was good for a laugh.
After playing with it for a short while (it was pretty easy to set up) I put in some of Jeff and
my trip locations for next week. We will be traveling to Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. Jeff is
going to get all of the testing that he needs to become our friends liver donor. Putting in those
locations to the gps was just one more step towards the reality of this. And my joy and
distraction of my new toy has now faded and now I am frazzled and tired feeling. Childhood
toys were so much less stressful.

No comments: